Hoadley Hide is a hiking event and you need to be considerate of the following:
- Rapidly changing weather conditions
- Appropriate gear for the environment
In terms of specific requirements for Hoadley Hide, you’re going to need the following equipment to successfully participate in the Hide. If you don’t have these items, you will have trouble successfully completing each stunt or activity.
Every person on each team must carry:
- Enough water for each day of hiking. Water can be refilled each night at the Overnight Camp.
- Two lashing ropes approximately 3m long
- Pen and/or Pencil
- Personal First Aid Kit
- Uniform (note that we will be providing a uniform storage facility, please bring your uniform with a hanger, we will issue these on the morning of closing parade)
Each team must carry:
- Compass (at least three must be available in each team)
- Plastic folder or similar for maps, paperwork, passport to protect them from dust, dirt & the weather. It is recommended that this folder is flexible so it can easily be packed.
You must be fully self sufficient for Hoadley Hide, this means you need to carry all of your equipment to sleep, camp, eat, cook and live for the period of the Hide. Each night you will be camped at an overnight camp that provides central items to assist you, this includes:
- Hot Water
- Fresh Drinking Water
- Camp Fires
- Designated areas for camping & cooking for you to use with your equipment.
As a Venturer Scout, it is up to you what you choose to take to Hoadley Hide. Remember, that whatever you pack you will need to carry for part or all of the Hide.
Items you need to consider packing are:
- Tent, including Fly & Pegs (you may want to share with other team members to save on weight)
- Hike Pack with liner (or heavy duty garbage bag to protect from rain)
- Sleeping Bag
- Sleeping Mat
- Clothes – as light as possible, allowing for a change of outer layers over the weekend
- Underwear & socks – enough for 1 change per day, along with a spare day
- Hike Boots or very sturdy comfortable shoes
- Waterproof rain coat
- Sun hat & sunscreen
- Minimal toiletries, however there are showers available at the VOC
- Torch or Head Torch
- Hike Stove with Fuel and eating utensils
- Water Bottles to carry at least 2 litres per day
- Toilet Paper
- Bag for rubbish
- Pack Cover